aka continuously connecting with people that are actually no longer there? I was thinking what would happen if suddenly internet would not exist anymore, and maybe also mobile phones.. and I realised that a huge part of my friends would really be offline and lost to me, as nowadays landline numbers or physical addresses are hardly exchanged anymore. I wonder how I would find them again.
on the other hand I wonder what makes people want to build these networks. one reason seems to me the unability to accept that when leaving a place for good you probably won't meet many of these people anymore - except for the few that really became good friends and/or have enough time and money to travel around. maybe it is too hard to face to say these final goodbyes. so we rather delve into the illusion of really being in touch with everyone.
I am not sure we really gain from this, because in some cases it is simply not honest. Also, I guess if one does not expect to see people again one often tends to be more sincere to them (which I generally think is lacking in everyday life) and in this way goodbye moments - if accepted as such - have even the potential to be the most precious in the sense of truth. and they allow to distance oneself from the people that are gone, to open the way to the ones that actually surround us.
3 commenti:
the internet and the cellulars give us "lazy" networking with many "lazy" friends. if you cut the wires and calm the radio-waves you will shrink the networks only to "motivated" friends.
on the other hand, internet and mobile networks are good for business partners, knowledge groups, career affairs, traveling freaks, etc. so don't cut the wires and calm the radio waves.
You just named one of the most noble purposes of use of social networking - that actually is a rare occasion in overall. Unfortunately it's mostly misused in order to meaninglessly waste your time and partially substituting communication that one wouldn't be able to put up courage to in real life.
generally i could agree with you.. but actually i do believe that it is better if this communication is taking place in this remote way instead of not taking place at all. in the end it might even be the first step of working things through in real life - something which is usually quite challenging and takes good practice in interacting with people. (and also you dont have the chance to read something over again and less time to structure your thoughts - not that it always helps ;) )
on the other hand, sometimes i've had the effect of philosophising along with someone by writing and then being really queasy when meeting them in the street because in real life this kind of trusted communication was not so likely to have taken place.
Posta un commento